Wednesday, September 19, 2018 by Michelle Simmons
Lower back pain is one of the most common pain symptoms of various diseases. In a study published in the Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, a Perso-Arabic traditional medicine called wet cupping was found to relieve lower back pain.
- Researchers at the National Institute of Unani Medicine in India looked at the efficacy of wet cupping in lower back pain.
- Wet cupping is a technique that involves applying cups with negative pressure to selected areas of the body. The cups are removed after a few minutes. A few incisions are then made to draw out waste blood, which is drained into disposable cups. This type of therapy has been used to treat various pain conditions.
- The researchers recruited 30 patients, aged 25 to 60, who were clinically diagnosed with lower back pain.
- Eligible patients were subjected to wet cupping over their lumbosacral region. For 30 days, the treatment protocol was followed according to a set schedule.
- The efficacy of wet cupping was assessed using the Oswestry disability index (ODI), a questionnaire used to measure disability due to lower back pain, at the beginning and end of the treatment. The researchers also carried out a statistical analysis after the procedure.
- Results revealed that significantly improved lower back pain and associated disability by more than 55 percent. The study also confirmed that wet cupping is safe as there were no adverse events reported.
The findings of the study suggested that wet cupping is a safe and effective treatment for lower back pain as it significantly improves both pain and associated disability without any adverse effects.
Read the full text of the study at this link[PDF].
To read more stories on natural pain relievers, visit HealingArts.news today.
Tarique M, Ansari AH, Zulkifle M. EFFECTS OF HIJAMAT BISH SHART IN WAJAUZ ZAHR (LOW BACK PAIN) AND ASSOCIATED DISABILITY. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. January 2016; 15(1): 173-176. Retrieved from http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/33555